Publishing content is not open heart surgery if you millimetre to the left or to the right it isn’t going to produce significant problems.
However, this is how a lot of people think of content marketing, up to the point where the need to hit that publish button.
As a result, you’re not hitting that publish button while you should.
The worst case scenario is you don’t convert a visitor on your website into a subscriber or lead, or maybe someone leaves a snarky comment, so it is really not that bad.
People build up that big psychological fair of rejecting, while in reality, it isn’t all that bad.
If hitting publish on your piece of content is THE ONE opportunity in the world for you to make money and you got rejected, that would be really bad.
In reality, most of the “negative” things you will get out of it, is just feedback that you desperately need to grow and learn.
Maybe the reason that the visitor on your site did not convert is because of the fact they just around ready yet to buy your product or service.
No matter what the reason is, you at least started already to build that relationship with them, and the sooner you start the better.
So what do you need to get started?
Well, you need to know who your audience is, you need to figure out what content they love and what content they are searching for. Then you need to brainstorm topics, create an outline, create the entire piece around the outline and hit that magical publish button.
Does it end there?
Sadly not, you’ve just spent 20% of the time needed for a single piece of content. The remaining 80% you need to fill with marketing and distribution, learning by looking at the data and in the end trying to convert people.
It is a lot of work, but it is all worth it if you want to start building truly great relationships with your target audience.
Below are my slides I used during a workshop around this topic. Taking you from A to Z in the Content Marketing setup.
Now you just have to follow the steps and start hitting publish.
What is holding you back?